Thursday

18th century carved frame




This is a beautiful little carved antique frame, I would describe it as an English 18th century carved running pattern with pierced corners, perhaps mid to late 1700's. I think the design would have been influenced by the French Louis XIV and XIII style frames. I really like the grey painted finish which gives it a slightly rustic look. I think this frame would be good for an impressionist type painting, a much better choice than an extravagant wide gilded compo Louis XV frame that were at some point the frame of choice for many museums, dealers, and collectors. My second choice after a good carved frame like this one (for an impressionist picture), would be a simple profile with a painted  or gilded finish, maybe with some reeded detail or simple mouldings or ornament. Just my personal preference of frames for impressionist paintings!