Friday

Spandrel


This is just an experiment/sample frame I am making, a spandrel is usually used when a painting is circular, oval, or some other irregular shape, and it is to fit in a traditional rectangular or square frame, as opposed to a round or oval frame.
The window is cut from MDF, this is primed and then the moulded ornament is cast and glued in place, for the spandrel aperture I picked a gadroon ornament (this is sometimes called a pie crust), which is a typical ornament for a neoclassical frame, and is often seen on oval or round frames. The corner rosettes are intended to break up the area in the corners. The outer frame is a pretty standard fluted cove with acanthus leaf corners which I made some time ago. Next a red primer coat will be painted on, before the spandrel is finished with bronze powder. I am also working on one with a round aperture, I will post some photos as it progresses.